Tuesday

RIOT by Tillie Cole

TITLE: Riot
AUTHOR: Tillie Cole
RATING: 5 Stars
PAGES: 352
PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Griffin
SERIES: Scarred Souls #4
SOURCE: eArc provided by publisher via NetGalley
Stolen by the Arziani Georgian crime mob as a child, 152 was raised and conditioned to be a Mona—the most subservient of the Arziani Blood Pit slaves.

Gorgeous and kind, she has been and under the imprisoning influence of the Type B drug and under the command of the Blood Pit Master’s sister, Mistress Arziani, for most of her life, until the Master calls her back home to Georgia.

He wants her under his total control, and Master always gets what he wants.

But when 152 is gifted to the Blood Pit’s fearsome champion death match fighter as a prize, 152 suddenly finds out that the men who appear most brutal, may just own the kindest hearts. And love may be found, even when living in hell.

Freedom, family, love, 152 will have to fight for what she wants and ultimately make an impossible choice.
(synopsis taken from Goodreads)


I'd like to first give out a warning that this book is not appropriate at all for anyone under the age of 18. It is certainly an adult novel that deals with many dark romance themes. With that said, this book is absolutely incredible!

I'll be honest and say I actually haven't read the first three books in the series but it did not in any way affect my reading experience which was fantastic! I probably would've been better immersed in the world had I read the previous books (to be honest I didn't know at first that this wasn't necessarily a standalone...oops lol) but Tillie Cole does such a fantastic job of building such an incredible world and taking the time to map out things for her readers that I was able to easily become involved with all the characters old and new!

901 is my latest dark romance book boyfriend! I mean, delicious gladiator?? Sign this girl up! I think what I enjoyed most about 901 as a character is his dedication and passion. I mean he's in a shitty situation being the Master's prize fighter who faces death everyday. Speaking of the Master he's such an evil bad guy! Lately in books I feel like the 'bad guy' or antagonists are just not all that...bad. Tillie obviously knows how to create a stab-worthy villain though. The Master Arziani gets it into his mind that he needs to break 901, and what better way to do that than through 152, a beautiful trained mona whose skill set is drawing in and seducing men. Throw in a brother who wants to save his sister and a few characters from the past and you've got a helluva revolution brewing!

While reading this book I felt incredibly connected to 152 and her life, not because I can relate in anyway, because the author knows how to pull you in and grow your attachments to the characters. There are so many scenes where I was so emotional over the situations and to me that is one of the best things about reading. Riot is not a book I will be forgetting anytime soon and I encourage anyone who wants to read about a not-so-perfect and flowery romance to pick up this book! You will not regret it! In the meantime I myself will be picking up the previous books in the series because Tillie Cole is a writing goddess!



No comments:

Post a Comment